Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The News Democrat has hit a new low!! (and that was a low bar)


The op-ed section of the News Democrat has hit a new low. It has become a mouth piece for knuckle dragging cretins. Today the first bit of wisdom came from someone from Lenzburg. That person stated:

"I have watched this great President battle Democrats and terrorists to keep this country safe."

I guess he has to "battle Democrats and terrorists" because they are pretty much the same thing. Apparently in Lenzburg they have not read the rehashed (from 2004) intel report which states that what Bush is doing is actually making things worse. I guess people in Lenzburg know more then the CIA.

Iraq is 'cause celebre' for extremists

And then, of course, there is a political wizard declaring they are disgusted with "Dick Turbin" because he is so desperate for power, he is willing to throw in with the terrorists, as if this would be some brilliant political strategy on his part.

The question I have is "How does crap like this end up in my paper?" Does the Jeff Couch, who is the executive editor, really think that this is the type of political discourse we should be promoting in our community?? I know they get lots of well written, thoughtful letters offering alternative opinions. I know because I write them and he deletes them. I would guess there are some he gets from Republicans that are well written, perhaps promoting fiscal responsibility. But he chooses these for our paper. The media control by the right wing has got to end, because this kind of garbage will do nothing other then promote ignorance.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My name is Jeffry Couch, executive editor of the News-Democrat. I came across this purely by coincidence, and read your entry. You and everyone else who reads it should know that when I signed on as executive editor, my agreement was and still is that I oversee everything in the newsroom except the editorial page. That is the job of Lori Browning, who reports directly to the publisher, Jay Tebbe. I have nothing to do with letters. I am sure Lori would want to hear your comments and concerns, so I would suggest sending them to her at lbrowning@bnd.com Thanks.

Chuck said...

Thank you for the clarification. We certainly want to give credit where credit is due :-)